Commonwealth Games 2014.

As I am sure you all know the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow had its opening ceremony last night.
We watched it at home we was going to go out and watch it in the park with a lot of other people but decided against it since it finished at 11pm and the kids would be so tired and hey its more fun to watch at home with lots of snacks (those in another post).
The weather was really good which was very surprising I was expecting it to start raining at some point.




A thistle man named Clyde is the official mascot of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. The mascot, which has been named after the river which flows through the host city, was designed by Beth Gilmour, 12, from Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire. Pretty fun mascot don't you think?.




 With all the interest in the games many of us will be inspired to incorporate more activity into our lives this summer. Despite the overriding benefits of participating in sport and exercise, there can be hidden hazards relating to sports injuries.  Sudden, jolting movements can push your joints to the limit and the odd niggle in your knees now could stop you in your tracks in years to come. And it’s not just athletes who suffer; the knee joint is highly prone to injury, whatever your activity level.

Personal Trainer & Sports Science Lecturer Kristoph Thompson shares his top five tips to help protect joints against injury and reduce the risk of long-term consequences:

Tip 1. Warm up / cool down
Invest time to ensure the body is prepared for exercise by undertaking warm-up activities at the start of your session. The cool-down phase will help you to gradually reduce the intensity of activity and soreness in the joints and muscles.

Tip 2. Strengthen muscles and increase flexibility
Strength and flexibility Injury can occur when a joint is taken outside of its comfortable range of motion.  Stronger stabiliser muscles and increased flexibility lessen the likelihood or severity of an injury.  A good test of strength and flexibility is the wall squat; stand facing a wall, with your feet just wider than hip-width and your hands on your temples. Try to squat down so your thighs are parallel to the floor, without your knees or any other part of your body touching the wall on the way up or down.  Aim to complete five squats standing just an inch away from the wall.

Tip 3. Maintain a healthy weight
Maintaining a healthy weight can be beneficial on joints. One study claimed that losing about a pound of weight delivers almost a four pound reduction in knee joint load for each step.

Tip 4. Consider evidence-based supplementation
Choose a natural supplement that is backed by extensive clinical evidence to demonstrate its effectiveness. A supplement that has shown a lot of promise in recent years has been GOPO Joint Health. Latest studies suggest that regular ingestion of the compound GOPO decreases pain and improves quality of movement in the knee joint. This has the potential to reduce the stresses on the joint and have long term benefits for the individual, possibly preventing degeneration to cartilage and tissues.

Tip 5. Allow time for recovery
Knee injury can increase the chances of developing and aggravating osteoarthritis in many people. Should injury occur allow enough time for full recovery and seek professional advice if symptoms persist.

40 comments:

  1. The last tip about allowing time for recovery is so important. If there is a slight injury, rest is the only thing that will make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that the Commonwealth games had started. I remember watching them when I was in the Caribbean. Those are some great tips especially #5. You really do need to allow time for recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! I wish this was broadcast more extensively in America, I love these types of competitions!
    thanks,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that this informs. Thanks a lot, I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips, especially the one on resting. Often times, when we get on our health kicks, we over do it and then wonder why we don't have the energy and progress that we thought we would. It's because we don't allow our bodies to rebuild after our workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read earlier this am that the games had started. I would love to be an elite athete athletic competing at events like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of the Glassgow Commonwealth games until now. I think I live under a rock! Those are great tips, I am currently recovering from an injury from over doing it - it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clyde is so cute! I am trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just going through this now as I am recovering from an auto accident. My shoulder was injured and I am learning the correct way to do things. thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea these games were on? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Protecting my joints is definitely a concern of mine. These are some wonderful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all so important! I'm learning the importance of flexibility now ... doctor gave me some stretching exercises to do to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve in my back. Been having symptoms pointing to an issue there and I had no idea how bad my flexibility had gotten until I started these exercises. It's so easy to get out of shape!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clyde is adorable. I am fortunate that I have been able to find it streaming online to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like that they provide tips to help protect against injury...A lot of people end up hurting themselves because they don't know how to exercise correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of these games. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are some really great tips! Knee and back injuries can be really horrible! I am currently nursing a back problem right now! Ready for it to be over so I can head back to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stretching out and allowing recovery is so important and I learned that the hard way! Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to admit I didn't watch the ceremony sounds like it had some great moments though, fantastic tips as well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips and I will try to check out those games...they are new to me! Finding safe and healthy supplements is always a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't know about them at all until you mentioned it. Now I'm curious and going to go look them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great list for anyone that wants to workout. I always forget to cool down.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips indeed! I didn't even know the Commonwealth Games started already :O

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am currently working on getting my weight back down to a better maintainable weight (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am with Mitch (GayNYCDad)- totally clueless! I just figured out who won the World Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had no idea about this either! Thanks so much for helping out and informing us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are all really great tips. I sometimes forget to warm up and my cool down is usually me just passing out on the floor...lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never heard of these games?? I must be behind the times!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are great tips to prevent entries. I have not heard of the Glasgow games but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such an important thing to know. Thanks for sharing these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really like your tip about resting an injury. If you continue to overuse it, it will never heal.

    ReplyDelete
  32. warming up and cooling down are huge and often overlooked. I try to start and end all my workouts with stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I, like many others it seems, had never heard of these games. Thanks for enlightening me !

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are great tips. The one that stood out to me was maintaining a healthy weight. I've been overweight for a few years now and as a result, I am unable to stand for long periods of time. My feet let me know loud and clear when it is time for a break. Now that I'm exercising regularly and losing weight, things have improved so much. My feet are getting stronger as the weight lessens.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I didn't know about this. You learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I had no idea about it either. Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think stretching and balance are important. These tips are good for every day so that we remain agile.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Have not heard of this before. Sounds interesting. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes, rest is so important for recovery. I love these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are great tips! I almost always forget about the warm up part and stretching.

    ReplyDelete