National picnic week is from the 17th - 23rd June so make sure you all get out and enjoy a picnic in the sun (well if it comes out lol).
I was sent a wonderful picnic basket filled with lots of Unilever products to come up with something interesting and different using one or all of the ingredients included in the hamper.
Lets start off with what i had in there.
So Try this
Chocolate Mayonnaise cake/cupcakes
- 275g self raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 200g jar/Bottle of mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 225ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
You can put in a cake tin if you like but i did them as smaller cupcakes for the little ones works better for me
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the caster sugar and baking powder. Beat the mayonnaise well into the flour - it is very important to beat thoroughly into the dry ingredients.
- Dissolve 4 tbsp of the cocoa in 225ml boiling water and stir this gently until it's smooth. Add to the flour mixture with the vanilla essence and give it a quick stir. Stir everything thoroughly until all the ingredients are blended but this time don’t beat the mixture because that will spoil it. Just keep stirring it gently until all the lumps are gone.
Yes i know you may say yuck but it is really yummy but i added something a little extra i split the mixture in to 2 and in one i thought i would just try something.
Any way i then poured it in to the cupcake cases and let them cook in the oven.
No one else in the house knew what was in there so i thought i should see what hubby thought as he loves mango and chili but not so keen on chocolate cake and he thought it was just plain chocolate so i had to tell him there is something extra in there to get him to taste it lol, What was his reaction well he loved it he said that would actually make him eat chocolate cake more often.
I think they taste lovely the chocolate is nice with the mayo makes an incredible difference but when you add the chili and mango sauce it is heaven you can taste the mango and then you get the little kick of chili.
I will be making these in future even the little ones love them and they do not so much like to try new foods lol.
Maybe you could also give this a go and let me know how you get on forget the boring picnics and try something different.
Now i am off to think of something even better. :-)